Korean-inspired sheet masks are a huge trend right now. Beauty gurus love sheet masks because they’re easy to use and produce dramatic results akin to professional facials. And of all sheet masks on the market, those made with Biocellulose are especially getting a lot of buzz in the beauty community. You may be wondering - what is Biocellulose exactly and what makes Biocellulose masks so special? Read on to find out!
What is Biocellulose?
Biocellulose is a super thin, natural fiber with a diameter of 20 nanometers - 1000 times thinner than the average human hair. Originally developed as an artificial skin to treat severe burns and chronic wounds, Biocellulose is now used for beauty treatments as well. Biocellulose is grown in a lab by tiny bacteria that convert glucose into cellulose, forming the fibers that make up the fabric of the sheet masks. It takes 10 days for the bacteria to grow enough Biocellulose for scientists to be able to “harvest” the fibers, which is why Biocellulose masks tend to be a bit more expensive than traditional paper masks.
However, all the extra effort that goes into creating Biocellulose fabrics really pays off! Biocellulose fabrics can hold lots of fluid - up to 100 times their dry weight, in fact. After the Biocellulose fibers are woven into a fabric and cut into a sheet mask, the mask is preloaded with nourishing ingredients for healthy, glowing skin.
Benefits of Biocellulose
Biocellulose has a lot of advantages over traditional paper masks, especially for anti-aging treatments. Here are a few of our favorite benefits of Biocellulose:
- Biocellulose is a more environmentally-friendly alternative to the fibers used in other traditionally manufactured sheet masks because it’s 100% compostable.
- Biocellulose fabrics are tightly woven and very durable. Masks made from Biocellulose will not rip or tear.
- Biocellulose is toxin-free, while paper masks are often treated with chemicals.
- Biocellulose fibers have the ability to both absorb and donate moisture and liquids, making them the perfect carrier for delivering nourishing ingredients to your skin.
- Biocellulose masks cling to the skin, meaning they get into every little part of your face, and they won’t dry out during use. All of this means deeper ingredient penetration!
Biorepublic’s Biocellulose Masks
Here at Biorepublic we are proud to have two Biocellulose masks in our product lineup. Biocellulose’s moisture-rich properties mean that these masks are able to deliver plenty of age-defying, nourishing ingredients to parched skin. They’re so effective, in fact, that you would need several paper masks to accomplish the same effect from one Biorepublic Biocellulose mask!
This extra-hydrating mask restores moisture to the eye area with hyaluronic acid, peptides, squalene, rose water, and vitamin E. Great for the morning after a late night, traveling, or for preventing signs of aging.
No More Years
This mask targets fine lines, wrinkles, and loss of skin elasticity. Made with Swiss Apple Stem Cell Extract, marine collagen, and hyaluronic acid, the No More Years biocellulose mask plumps and moisturizes skin.
If you’ve only tried paper masks, give a Biocellulose sheet mask a shot and see for yourself the difference in your skin. Biorepublic’s Biocellulose masks will give your skin an extra dose of nutrients that you couldn’t get from creams, serums, or paper masks alone.
Written by Colleen Welsch