Smile lines or laugh lines are a sign of a life well-lived. But as natural aging occurs, they can deepen and make us look older than we really are. While aging is inevitable, there are some ways to prevent aging prematurely and keep skin looking smooth and healthy as long as possible. Curious to learn how to prevent smile lines? Keep reading!
What Are Smile Lines?
Smile lines or laugh lines are layman’s terms for nasolabial folds. These wrinkles go from the edge of the nose and curve around the mouth. They appear when we smile or laugh, hence the name. However, as we naturally age, they begin to stay on our faces even when we’re not smiling.
Why Do We Get Smile Lines?
Smile lines occur due to a natural loss of volume in our skin as we age. As time passes, we lose collagen and hyaluronic acid from our skin. As a result, fine lines and wrinkles appear. Furthermore, the natural shifting of the face’s fat pads over time can make smile lines become more pronounced.
Some people are more predisposed to smile lines than others based on their facial structure and genetic background. However, certain factors can make smile lines worse, including:
- Sun damage
- History of smoking
- Sudden weight loss
- History of weight fluctuations
Smile lines are a natural part of aging, but don’t despair! There are certain steps you can take to prevent smile lines from developing prematurely.
How to Prevent Smile Lines
- Don’t smoke. Smoking breaks down collagen and decreases skin’s elasticity, resulting in fine lines and wrinkles.
- Prevent sun damage by wearing a broad spectrum sunscreen any time you go outdoors. Sun damage is the #1 cause of premature aging.
- Avoid “cleanses” and yo-yo dieting, as these can deplete your collagen stores.
- Adopt a healthy exercise routine. There’s some scientific evidence that regular exercise jumpstarts cell regeneration. Plus, exercise reduces cortisol, a stress hormone that breaks down collagen.
Are you worried about smile lines? Let us know in the comments!