Smile lines or laugh lines are a sign of a life well-lived. But as natural aging occurs, they can deepen and make us look older than we really are. While aging is inevitable, there are some ways to prevent aging prematurely and keep skin looking smooth and healthy as long as possible. Curious to learn how to prevent smile lines? Keep reading!
What are smile lines?
Smile lines or laugh lines are layman’s terms for nasolabial folds. These wrinkles go from the edge of the nose and curve around the mouth. They appear when we smile or laugh, hence the name. However, as we naturally age, they begin to stay on our faces even when we’re not smiling.
Why do we get smile lines?
Smile lines occur due to a natural loss of volume in our skin as we age. As time passes, we lose collagen and hyaluronic acid from our skin. As a result, fine lines and wrinkles appear. The natural shifting of the face’s fat pads over time can make smile lines become more pronounced. Some people are more predisposed to smile lines than others based on their facial structure and genetic background. However, certain factors can make smile lines worse: Sun damage, history of smoking, history of weight fluctuations, sudden weight loss, dehydration.
How to prevent smile lines:
- Don’t smoke. Smoking breaks down collagen and decreases skin’s elasticity, resulting in fine lines and wrinkles.
- Prevent sun damage by wearing a broad spectrum sunscreen any time you go outdoors. Sun damage is the #1 cause of premature aging.
- Avoid “cleanses” and yo-yo dieting, as these can deplete your collagen stores.
- Adopt a healthy exercise routine. There’s some scientific evidence that regular exercise jumpstarts cell regeneration. Plus, exercise reduces cortisol, a stress hormone that breaks down collagen.
- Don’t sleep on your side. When you sleep on your side, your pillow presses against your cheeks and encourages the development of smile lines. Sleep on your back instead, or position your head so that the lower half of your face is not on the pillow.
- Moisturize your skin. As with other types of wrinkles, moisturizing can help to plump up fine lines and diminish their appearance. Hyaluronic acid is an incredibly effective weapon in the fight against smile lines. Look for a facial moisturizer or moisturizing serum that contains hyaluronic acid to smooth wrinkles.
- Adopt a skincare routine that promotes collagen production. Smile lines are caused by a loss of collagen and skin elasticity, so look products formulated with ingredients that improve collagen production. Retinol, vitamin B3, copper, glycolic acid, and peptides are all known to boost skin’s elasticity.
- Repurpose Eye Masks. Made with hydrating and collagen-boosting ingredients like hyaluronic acid and peptides, BioRepublic Lost Baggage Under Eye Emergency Repair Masks are perfect for use on the smile lines. Plus, their shape easily fits the contours of your nasolabial folds. Wear for around 20 minutes 2-3 times per week to deliver skin-nourishing ingredients where you need them most.
Keep the smile, but prevent the lines with our Pout Perfecting Lip Mask: